Maersk’s container shipping business continues to be affected more than two weeks on from the cyber attack on 27 June that massively disrupted the carrier’s global IT systems and activities.
In an update to customers yesterday, the world’s largest container line acknowledged a continuing reluctance among some customers to return their full booking volumes to the carrier, for example due to delays in response times. It said the line was “steadily getting closer to business as normal”, adding that it was “very grateful to see that so many customers are using our systems in full, and are back in contact with our customer service teams”.
It added: “In case any of you are concerned about booking new shipments with us, we would like to reassure you that we are ready to handle your business through our booking channels and main customer service lines.”
Maersk said it was “now fully up-to-date on the short-term quotations requested” and was looking forward to responding to all new rate inquiries, adding: “As previously advised, we honour all rates communicated and have retroactively reflected those agreements for the shipments in our custody.”
In terms of recent demurrage and detention fees, Maersk told customers: “We recognise the disturbance caused to your business, and will therefore waive demurrage and detention during the period when the system outage impacted our ability to release your cargo. In most places this period covers 27 June to 9 July, but there may be local variations based on when the containers were made available for import release.”
Maersk said it was also “progressing on issuing invoices”, noting: “You will be able to see your invoices on My.Maerskline.com under MyFinance as of today, Thursday, and invoices will be sent to customers with an EDI link. Local variances may occur and the distribution of invoices will take place over the coming days.”
But Maersk acknowledged that some other processes were also still being affected by the cyber attack last month, with some manual operations still in place. “For imports, the delivery process continues to be operational, although we acknowledge that the experience is slow in some locations due to manual processing,” the line noted. “We are working hard on improving within this week as we switch to automated solutions.”
The line also acknowledged that some of these issues were affecting customers’ confidence in shipping with the company currently.
“We acknowledge that where progress is being made, you may still encounter delays in response time and feel reluctant to return your full booking volumes with us,” Maersk said. “Rest assured that no one feels more committed to alleviate your concerns, and we are diligently working through backlogs and manual processes to be able to serve you effectively again.”
Maersk said the tracking facility on My.Maerskline.com was “now fully up-to-date, and maerskline.com, where you find guidance to plan your shipments, is now also live again”.
Maersk said that “as we move into more normal operations”, the company would be providing customers with updates three times a week, including an update today.