Maersk Genoa continues voyage after collision

4/13/2017

A Maersk Line containership that collided with a general cargo ship near the port of Antwerp on Tuesday has been allowed to continue its voyage after a delay of only 24 hours.

The 10 000 TEU Maersk Genoa, a third-party vessel built in 2016 that is chartered to Maersk Line and sailing under a Hong Kong flag, collided with a general cargo vessel while outbound under pilotage from Antwerp on 4 April at 11.20 local time. Maersk said the vessel suffered some damage above the water line and was anchored in Vissingen in The Netherlands for further examination by port authorities and P&I representative and to establish further course of action. It stressed that no crew members had been injured and there has been no pollution to the marine environment.

“The vessel has on 5 April morning hours departed from her anchorage position and has been allowed to continue her voyage to Bremerhaven,” Maersk told Lloyd’s Loading List. “Should there been any change to her schedule, customers with cargo on board will be informed accordingly through Maersk Line’s regular notification system.”

Meanwhile, no-one at Mediterranean Shipping Co had responded at the time of writing to a request from Lloyd’s Loading List for an update on the status of the 13,000 TEU MSC Daniela, which reportedly experienced a fire onboard on Tuesday about 50km off the port of Colombo in Sri Lanka. Lloyd’s List reported on Wednesday that the extent of the damage and cargo losses would not be known until the vessel had undergone a thorough inspection. According to Lloyd's List Intelligence data, the vessel had departed Singapore on 31 March and had been scheduled to arrive in Port Said, Egypt on 10 April.